About Historic Melrose
The Historic Melrose Building in the Orange Mound Community is undergoing a redevelopment project as part of the city of Memphis’ Accelerate Memphis initiative, a 200-million-dollar investment in the city’s neighborhoods. The 40,000-square-foot building, built in 1938 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, will be transformed into a multi-use facility that meets the needs of the community while preserving its historical significance.
The redevelopment is a collaborative effort between the City of Memphis, John Stanley, and Self + Tucker Architects, who is serving as both the project developer and architect. The project aims to serve as a national model for historic preservation, adaptive reuse, and sustainability.
The building will feature a library, genealogy center, small café, and 28 senior apartments on the second and third floors. It will be equipped with state-of-the-art systems and designed to be highly energy efficient, ensuring that the community can enjoy its amenities while minimizing its impact on the environment.
Located at Historic Melrose
Melrose Public Library