Build professional nonprofit skills while building community! The City of Memphis AmeriCorps VISTA Program seeks applicants passionate about economic justice to join a cohort of AmeriCorps VISTA members in a year of national service.
City of Memphis VISTAs oversee projects that build the long-term capacity of communities through financial education, job skills training, microenterprise & asset development, affordable housing, homeless services, and food security. AmeriCorps VISTA members perform only indirect service; interaction with clients will be limited and the member will spend the majority of their time in an office setting. However, VISTA offers the opportunity to gain advanced project management skills and exercise creativity in implementing a program—skills highly desired by employers.
Since VISTA has unique benefits and requirements, prospective applicants are advised to review the FAQ’s on our VISTA program. More details on pay and benefits are located there.
Current Service Opportunities:
Applications for our 2021-2022 VISTA positions and Summer Associate positions are live! To see our open positions click the arrows below to scroll through positions. Click on the position that you are interested in to be redirected to the application page. Our full one year term positions have a projected start date in June-July. Our 8-week Summer Associate positions have a projected start date of June 7, 2021.
Eligibility and Qualifications for Service with our AmeriCorps VISTA Team:
To be eligible for VISTA service, a candidate must:
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to community/public service
- Intercultural communication skills and experience working within diverse communities
- Strong volunteer/community service experience
- High school diploma or GED required; Bachelor’s degree, or 4 years of relevant work experience, or a combination preferred
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to solve problems and be flexible
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work well in a team environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
Please note: VISTA positions may have their own specific skills and qualifications not shown in the list above. Please see more details on skills and qualifications for specific VISTA positions once posted.
To get more information, feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com. Also, stay in touch by following us on social media and signing up for text notifications by texting “VISTA” to 484848.