MEMPHIS, Tennessee – The Tennessee Department of Transportation contract crews are gearing up for long-term lane closures and traffic shifts along Interstate 55.
October 20 (Thursday) – October 21 (Friday) each night from 8:00 PM – 6:00 AM crews will be shifting the traffic. Once complete, all I-55 north and southbound traffic will shift into the I-55 southbound lanes until the fall of 2023. There will be one lane in each direction. While traffic is shifted into the SB lanes the remaining portion of the Wisconsin Street bridge and pedestrian bridge will be demolished. The following closures are still in place.
- I-55 NB exit ramp to EB Crump will be closed.
- McLemore entrance ramp to I-55 NB will be closed.
- Wisconsin will remain closed.
- Riverside Drive SB will remain closed at Carolina Avenue.
- Channel 3 ramps to and from Riverside Drive SB will remain closed.
- Riverside Drive SB to I-55 NB ramp will remain closed.
- Riverside Drive SB to Crump Boulevard EB ramp will remain closed.
- Crump Boulevard WB ramp to I-55 SB will remain closed.
All work is weather permitting. A detour will be posted for all closures.
*See attached map.
As always, drivers are reminded to use all motorist information tools wisely and Know Before You Go! by checking travel conditions before leaving for their destination. Drivers should never tweet, text, or talk on a cell phone while behind the wheel.
In 2016, the Tennessee Department of Transportation lost three workers in the line of duty. All three were struck by passing motorists. Those tragedies bring the total loss to 112. We don’t want to lose another member of our TDOT family. We’re asking you to WORK WITH US. Click on the WORK WITH US logo to learn more.